Monday, January 29, 2007

River John Swing Needles and Confusion/Change



I'm not sure of anything right now. I'm especially not sure of my Fleece Artist Celtic Vest that I got from Colorsong. At first, I wasn't sure of the color - Moss. It's pretty lime-ish to me. The yarn itself, Scotian Silk (try to say that 3 times fast after 2 martinis) is 35% silk and 65% wool and is lovely, albeit thick compared to all the lace and socks I've been working on lately. When you work mostly with fingering and lace weight yarns and switch to a bulkier yarn it does have the tendency to feel like you are knitting with the Gorton Fisherman's fishing nets. Then I wasn't sure of the gauge. The directions say gauge grows quite a bit after being blocked. Now I'm not sure if the Rib Stitch pattern is correct, because I can't get the hang of the "swing".

I've got my balls (of yarn) nicely positioned, like Thing One and Thing Two. I knit with Yarn 1 and I knit1 purl1 with Thing, I mean Yarn 2. The directions say I don't turn my work at the end of every row. OK, got that, but I do turn my work at the end of every other row because both yarns are together at that point.

And I find I really have to give it a tug at the beginning of each row because that yarn sitting there resting can get quite loose. So I'm also not sure about these new needles - River John Swing Needles. I got them from Tidalbrookyarns on ebay, great service and very helpful. They're a very light and a pretty birch with a very faint wax to them, very almost unfinished - a big change from my Crystal Palace Bamboo which almost feel laquered.
Lola - chew your toys, not my River John Swing Balls...

Lola The Dog loves the removable balls at the ends of the sticks. They were slipping to the floor rather easily until I took the advice of the manufacturer and tied strings to them to make the holes tighter. Now Lola is jumping up to snatch the balls from the ends of the sticks, a more challenging game for her by far. So this has not been the relaxing knit I hoped for - yet.

I feel I've entered a new realm in knitting - Embrace Change is my Mantra...

2 comments:

Teresa said...

Great yarn choice! I've always really liked all the yarn I've bought from Fleece Artist or Handmaiden. I haven't tried the Scotian Silk before. Hope you like working with it :)

Shrinkie said...

Great feedback on the Fleece Artist pattern - I am really keen to make that myself (when I lose a few more pounds!) so I look forward to further updates.