Saturday, February 23, 2008

I Love Buttons

Yes - I am the keeper of the buttons. The older the better. Here's my collection. I keep them in old candy tins.
I make a half-hearted attempt to keep them sorted. Here are some of the lesser whites:
Many cut from old shirts. Many saved just for me. Read below...
Little baggies with special reds and pinks, little pill bottles with all sorts of brass, stones and teddy bears.
Many still on cardboard, or in little packages.
Most are my grandmother's buttons, given to me by my mom. Grandma would buy a lot of her clothes at the thrift store, and when she was done wearing them, she would cut the buttons off. Nothing went to waste back in those days. They were the original recyclers. This one came from a great 3/4 length sleeve suit she scored at the Salvation Army and wore one Easter. I have fond memories of her in it.
I love seeing the handwriting of my mom and grandma. It instantly transports me to them. (Although mom is living with me now, but I still think of her thinking of me as she wrote it.)
I had a hard time deciding which buttons to choose for dd's jacket. But I didn't have a hard time choosing the right vintage rhinestone one for my Anthropologie Inspired Capelet:
Specs:
Yarn: Grignasco Rapsodia 1 1/2 skeins
Needles: Addi Turbo #11s
Mods: Added about 6 more rows to length, otherwise, nuthin.

So when I die, save the urn for some really cool, old buttons.

3 comments:

Jane said...

I love buttons too. A friend of mine suggested my empty 10 gal aquarium so that's where they are all hanging out. What a treasure trove you have of old buttons!

Angie said...

I like buttons too although I do not have as many as you do...yet! Love the sweater and WE MISS YOU at Panera!!

picperfic said...

I love buttons too and have quite a collection. I have a blog post about some too, here's the link if you're interested http://picperfics.blogspot.com/2007/04/ever-had-your-day-made.html

love that little cardigan, what a neat shape your DD is!